Java Developer – MapQuest Search Data Ingestion 129341
Location: 1555 Blake St, Denver, CO 80202
Want to work in a startup-like environment that already has a very strong brand, has 36M monthly unique visitors and is one of the top 25 web properties and doesn’t worry about making payroll?
MapQuest is moving beyond only maps and directions, transforming itself and retaking its rightful place as an industry leader in the mapping, local discovery and travel space. In order to finish the transformation to a fact-paced innovation machine, MapQuest is looking to add talented and energetic people.
If you want a challenge and the chance to be a part of potentially one of the greatest transformation stories in the tech industry, this is the place for you.
The Data Ingestion team works primarily on ingesting many feeds from different partners that provide information about millions of places and businesses, synthesizing these records, and then providing different views of this information to all areas of the company and our partners. There are many facets to this – from high speed ingestion and geocoding, to record matching and algorithms for de-duping, as well as high speed caching systems and content management systems for publication of the data with real time updating capabilities to provide yield management capabilities.
As a member of the MapQuest Search Data Ingestion team, you must be a team player, and a power-house in getting stuff done quickly and professionally. You must be energetic, positive and outgoing.
You will be responsible for executing business requirements into unit tested functional code, designing creative solutions to thorny problems, and operating in tandem with other team members to co-ordinate work.
While every day as is different, this is what your responsibilities include:
- New Features– take user stories, deconstruct them into tasks, and execute upon those tasks in 2-week sprints, that fulfill business asks for new functionality.
- Technical Debt reduction – The Search Data Team has a sense of pride and ownership in what we do. To maintain that, we always seek to undo old hacks or shortcuts, improve the systems we have, and implement better ways of doing things, without requiring that the Business ask us to do so.
- Data Analysis & Munging – Data is a massive part of what we do every day. You’ll need to be able to manipulate data, crunch it, and sling it around the place with ease.
- System Health- We have large production systems that have to keep running. We’re always working to improve monitoring, up-time, performance, and scalability.
- Having Brilliant ideas & helping the group execute on them – The Search Team is always looking to be ahead of the customer. We are always working on our own projects too, dreamed up inside the team, to improve the product.
There are many items listed below. Don’t be scared. Ultimately as long as you are a good, solid Java developer, have some of the items, have the right attitude, and are the right fit for the team, you can learn the rest on the job.
- 3+ years of Java / JEE or Spring and use of Tomcat is required.
- SQL required, preferably postgres. PostGIS experience is a major plus
- Gradle is a plus
- Lucene / SOLR experience is not required but is a major plus
- Test Driven Development methodology
- ETL or Data cleansing & normalizing experience is a major plus
- Experience developing SOA and Web APIs
- Experience in Agile development methodologies
- Git experience is a plus
- Any spatial or search technology experience are pluses and we would be interested in hearing about them
- Experience with open source tools and data is also a major plus
- Data analysis, log mining and automated reporting experience is a major plus.
- A sense of humor is required, and a wicked aim with a nerf gun is a plus.
AOL offers a competitive salary and benefits package, including 401(k) match and performance bonus. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on, race, gender, veteran status, disability or other protected category.
Software Development Culture & Quality:
- Agile development process
- Pull/code review or paired programming
- Scripted deployments
- Build servers
- Source management with git
MapQuest Valued Behaviors:
- High energy with a positive attitude
- Eager and willingness to learn
- Strong problem solving and analytical analysis skills
- Operate with high integrity and respect
- Enjoys and is willing to contribute to a collaborate environment.
To apply, please send your resume to: email@example.com Subject: Java Developer – Search Data Ingestion