MapQuest’s New Gas Portal Provides Information on Alternative Fuels and Maps and Directions to Stations Offering the Lowest Prices
DENVER, January 30, 2007
MapQuest today announced the launch of a new gas portal (gasprices.mapquest.com), with information on gas prices at more than 100,000 stations around the country, as well as the location of stations offering diesel and alternative fuels, gas saving tips and more.
Finding gas stations online is one of the many place searches that users can perform with MapQuest’s renowned and comprehensive Points of Interest database, which contains more than 15 million places. Utilizing pricing data from Oil Pricing Information Service (OPIS), a leading provider of petroleum spot, rack and retail news and pricing information, which is updated up to seven times per day, the site allows users to easily find fuel stations, get maps and directions and check gas prices all in one place.
With information from the Department of Energy, consumers will also be able to find listings for alternative fuel stations, including diesel, biodiesel, CNG (compressed natural gas), E-85, electric, hydrogen, LPG (propane) and LNG (liquefied natural gas). The site will also include links and information about alternative fueled vehicles to help consumers become knowledgeable about this emerging market.
In addition, the site will display the highest and lowest gas prices in the country and in the coming months will be accessible on cell phones via MapQuest® Mobile with a link to directions.
“With most Americans looking for ways to minimize the pain at the pump, the new MapQuest gas portal will help them find the lowest-priced gas stations in their area, or on their travel routes,” said Jim Greiner, VP and GM of MapQuest. “Whether it’s for information, fun facts or simply plotting out a convenient route to the lowest-priced gas stations, MapQuest is focused on providing useful solutions for consumers.”
Consumer benefits include:
- Convenience and integration of MapQuest’s directions feature allows consumers to map out a route to the lowest-priced gas stations;
- Ability to pinpoint the most convenient gas stations located close to user by entering in an address, city, state and zip;
- Ability to zoom in and out on the map and pan around to see all gas station locations in a specified area;
- Ability to locate the type of fuel stations a consumer wants by fuel type and grade, such as Premium Gasoline or E85, and
- Ability to find convenient gas stations by brand and search for the most convenient gas stations up to a 50 mile radius.
- Forthcoming plans for the site include a gas price trip calculator, fuel station amenities and other mapping features.
MapQuest offers Internet, wireless and business solutions that help people find places. MapQuest is one of the most recognized and trusted brands on the Internet and is the leading consumer Web site for maps and directions, serving more than 44 million users in December 2006, according to comScore Media Metrix. MapQuest, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of AOL LLC, is based in Denver, Colorado.
AOL is a global Web services company that operates some of the most popular Web destinations, offers a comprehensive suite of free software and services, runs the country’s largest Internet access business, and provides a full set of advertising solutions. A majority-owned subsidiary of Time Warner Inc., AOL LLC is based in Dulles, Virginia. AOL and its subsidiaries also have operations in Europe, Canada and Asia. Learn more at AOL.com.